Sunday, August 06, 2006

All Hail!

Greg Horn has gotten a lot of flack for drawing cheesecake covers on She-Hulk which misrepresent the actual content of the book and drive off women who would otherwise enjoy the book.

So I wanted to give a shout out to Mr. Horn for this cover:


That's some good work right there. You immediately get the spy thriller genre of the issue. Jen Walters, the She-Hulk, looks strong and confident, even a little bored, as she glides through the air on seemingly insubstantial wings. Plus all the black and white swirls immediately recall Jim Steranko's trippy covers for Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. All in all, it's nice to see Horn get away from his "boobs sell" mentality and deliver a solid cover that really tells the reader what the book's about...


... what's this? In the corner? Can we get a close up?



Yeah. Uh huh... could you zoom in a little more? Enhance that a bit?



ALL HAIL THE HYPNO-CHEST!

7 comments:

Chris Sims said...

Didn't Horn do the Steranko homage cover for Wolverine: Enemy of the State, too?

Steven said...

Thanks to Google, I now know that that was Greg Land, not Horn.

I couldn't find the cover with Fury in the glider suit, though.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I've found that many people confuse Land and Horn's art. It's kind of weird.

Bully said...

Cool! The wedding-ring cover wasn't bad either. As a constant critic of She-Hulk covers, I need to acknowledge that fact, but I still have to transcribe my hoof-written review notes from two weeks ago. Like anyone cares at this point.

Johnny Bacardi said...

Actually, I think that glider pose is from one of Steranko's S.H.I.E.L.D. interiors, rather than a cover. All I do know is that I've seen that pose somewhere. I don't have my books here, so I can't verify...nice cover, just the same!

Mr. Long said...

Just in case you need an original to compare with the She-Hulk cover...

Glider wings

Trippy background

Unknown said...

I've been staring at the hypno-boobs for the last twenty minutes.
Dan
http://ismarkevaniermentallyill.blogspot.com/