Monday, August 28, 2006

Random Thoughts re:Justice League

Of the new line up, one is married, five are fathers. One mother.

Where did Clark get a Legion flight ring from? Oh, I know he probably got it from Conner (Kon-El) Kent, who was an honorary member of the Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes, or, failing that, from Supergirl, who's a "current" member. Heck, he might have even pulled it off Booster Gold's crispy fried finger. But I like to think the Legion of Superheroes gave him that ring when he himself was a member of the Legion as a teen. Infinite Crisis almost came out and stated that the adventures of Superman when he was boy are back in continuity, and this could be our first sign.

But the big mystery is who is the shadowy figure behind Felix Faust and Dr. Impossible who is going to such great lengths to keep the Red Tornado out of his robot body? If he was just looking for future tech, Dr. Impossible should have grabbed the Metal Men he disabled as well, so I'm thinking it's someone who actually wants to inhabit the Red Tornado's robot body. And since Brad Meltzer has said that Dr. Impossible is the only new villain, it's probably someone we know.

So who is it? Well, let's narrow it down to the dead, or recently dead. Someone maybe with experience body hopping. Someone smart. Heck, it's Meltzer writing, and it'd be stupid at this point NOT to tie it to Identity Crisis, so maybe someone who had been mind-wiped by Zatanna as well. Someone who specifically wants the Tornado body because it's fast, strong, self-repairing...

spins...



11 comments:

Matthew E said...

Yeah. Could be. Well reasoned.

What about this idea, though: the Ultra-Humanite.

Brandon Bragg said...

The Top has switched bodies before.

Would Faust work for this guy though?

Jeremy Rizza said...

Nice.

Steven said...

Matthew,

Yeah, it could be the old U-to-the-H. I also thought it might be Despero or Eclipso (who are also in the market for a new host). The Top was the only villain I could think of who would specifically want a SPINNING body, however.

'Course, the cover to issue 3 implies mass production of the Tornado, so I'm probably WAAAAY off.

But it'd be cool if I was right.

Brandon,

Faust is all about the Benjamins, so as long as the Top's money is as green as his costume, I'm thinking it's all good in the 'hood. (Note: I am extremely white).

Blockade Boy,

Thanks!

Chris said...

Doesn't the solicit in this issue mention that next issue they try to destroy the body?

(Of course, they could be doing that just to see how it puts itself back together so they can mass produce, as you said.)

Bully said...

Where did Clark get a Legion flight ring from?...I like to think the Legion of Superheroes gave him that ring when he himself was a member of the Legion as a teen.

Ooooooh, very cool! I never thought of that. I assumed it was Kon's flight ring as well.

Trouble is: now that the new Superman continuity could possibly support Superboy and the Legion, the new Legion continuity doesn't.

Blast you, multiverse! Give us back our Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes!

Ah well, we'll always have Hypertime. (What? No longer? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

Matthew E said...

the cover to issue 3 implies mass production of the Tornado

Well, I had some thoughts about that. See, the Tornado Champion/Tornado Tyrant is now in a human body, right? Except it's not just any human body. It's one of Multiplex's bodies. So maybe Reddy's got a new super-power...

I'm still not sure what to think about the Legion flight ring. Right now I'm just assuming it's Conner's (or Bart Allen's, or Inferno's, or one that one of the Titans swiped, or something) and not sweating the details.

Anonymous said...

Ooh. The Top.
I rather liked Johns's arc with him during Rogue War so this could be a very sexy idea...

Steven said...

Chris,

The exact phrasing is that the body will be a "casualty" which has already kind of happened. Though, since Reddy has abandoned the old shell for a new, more "fully functional" body, it's kind of like saying an old leg brace is a casualty if someone stole it, for some reason.

Bully,

you're not thinking FOURTH DIMENSIONALLY! The new Legion hasn't had Superboy as a member... yet...

Matthew,

Yeah, Meltzer wouldn't put Reddy in a Multiplex body if he WASN'T going to exploit that aspect. Not sure exactly how it's going to work out though. Though when I first saw that cover, I kind of hoped we were getting our first look at the Red Inferno Morrow hinted about back in 52.

Carla,

Yeah, I'd be pretty excited too if it DOES turn out to be the Top (not just cause I could do my "I Called It" dance). I was disappointed that he was killed the very issue it looked like he was going to be a major villain.

Then I remembered... he'd been dead before...

Anonymous said...

Well, Black Canary has an adopted daughter, so there is one mother.

Steven said...

Wow, I can't believe I missed that for almost an entire year.

Thanks!