Thursday, August 10, 2006

Tag

I have arrived. I've been tagged by my first meme by Ragnell (and placed in some pretty good company to boot). This is going to be a pretty boring and obvious list, but then I thought honesty was better than an attempt at impressing all y'all.

1. One book that changed your life
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (my favorite book, and I could probably answer a lot of the following questions with the same answer, but I'll hold off for now).

2. One book you have read more than once
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

3. One book you would want on a desert island
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

4. One book that made you laugh
Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (it's a long way to go for it, but it ends with a 40 foot tall woman climbing up a tower clutching a helpless ape.)

5. One book that made you cry
I don't cry when reading, because I tend not to react viscerally to art.

Oh man, you're going to make me say it, aren't you?

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

I cried, okay? You read about all those little spiders flying away and see if you still have a dry eye.

Bastards

6. One book you wish had been written
1,001 Brilliant Story Ideas Which No One Else Has Ever Thought Of by GOD (and I would have the only copy)

7. One book you wish had never been written
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown (literary crack cocaine)

8. One book you are currently reading
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

9. One book you have been meaning to read
1776 by David McCullough, though I'll probably end up reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman first.

10. Now tag five people!
Crap. Okay, Brandon, Bully, Kaitlin, Steve, Steve, and Aaron, if you had a blog, I'd be tagging you as well.

14 comments:

Chris said...

Holy crap! We have the same "Book I've been meaning to read".

What are the odds?

Steven said...

Did your mom give you copy and tell you to read it too?

Chris said...

LOL - no... but sounds exactly like something she'd do.

Anonymous said...

dr-whom.livejournal.com, dude. Not that I actually use it as a blog, but it is a repository for memes.

Anonymous said...

Ah, I mean dr-whom.livejournal.com, of course.

Steven said...

Who knew?

Anyway, TAG! You're it!

Anonymous said...

There's no shame in crying, Steven. Charlotte's Web is a great book.

...*snicker*

Brandon Bragg said...

"Moving Pictures" was pretty good. I don't think I've read a Pratchett book I didn't like. Yet.

Bully said...

Thanks for the tag! I haltingly take up the challenge here.

All that and I couldn't fit in Dr. Doolittle in the Moon, a book which I will corner anyone slow enough to tell them is one of the single greatest works of fantasy and humanitarianism of the twentieth-century.

Ragnell said...

Moving Pictures... I loved that one. Ridcully's my favorite Discworld character. (My ex-boyfriend likened me to him personality-wise once, and himself to Granny)

Steven said...

Bully, loves a book about a man who talks to animals (and saves bulls from the bull fights).

Totally not surprised.

Ragnell, your ex actually likened himself to Granny Weatherwax? That's... presumptuous.

My favorite, unsurprisingly, is Rincewind.

Bully said...

Looks like we could have a whole "who's your favorite Discworld character" thread! Mine: Sam Vimes. With many of the past several Pratchett books being set in Ankh-Morpork or being Watch novels, it's been a great time to be a Vimes fan.

I'm lucky enough to have gotten my hooves on an advance reading copy of Pratchett's next young adult book Wintersmith. Gotta read it soon! Maybe that should have been my one book you have been meaning to read, but it hasn't been sitting on my shelf as long.

Steven said...

Bully, you're in luck, because Vimes is Pratchett's favorite character too (at least that's what he said at a reading last year). He seems to have lost interest in Rincewind.

Haven't read the first two Tiffany Aching books yet, so I think I'll pick them up before Wintersmith, though they are all on The List.

Ragnell said...

Ehh, Tiffany is being set up to be the new Granny, which is annoying but he's gone as far as he can go with Granny...

(And yeah, I suppose so, but he was flattering me with Ridcully at the time. Normally he's a Rincewind fan too).