Wednesday, December 13, 2006

It's Always Someone's First Time

Incomprehensible. Exclusive. Written for a small, insular community that has a shared history with these characters, full of half-explained references and verbal and visual shorthand.

The latest issue of JSA?

Nope, this blog.

A friend recently told me that my blog is "insane". She couldn't follow a thing I wrote about and, considering that she doesn't read superhero comics, she's completely right.

I mean, look at my last few posts. Even besides the meme panels (new computer at work has PhotoShop, in case you were wondering, and TWO Thor clone jokes? I'm slipping), it's unexplained references to the most obscure characters, inside jokes about shared writing complaints, and a general assumption that my audience not only knows the stories I'm talking about, but has actually read every issue that I've read... which is, well, "insane."

So my New Years blogging resolution is to make my blog more New Reader friendly. More explaination, more annotation and explanatory links. Basically write it for an audience that knows who Superman and Batman are, but maybe not that J'onn J'onzz, the Martian Manhunter, has a fondness for Oreo cookies (or Chocos, as they are known in the DCU).

Erm... the DCU being shorthand for the DC Comics Universe, the shared setting for most of the superhero stories published by DC Comics.

Though some of the Vertigo books actually take place in the DCU as well. And occasionally Wildstorm books.

Vertigo being DC Comics mature line of books...

hm, this may be harder than I thought.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

Steven, it's like shop talk...that common language that people who share a hobby or same line of work use. Doctors and Lawyers and comic book fans are all in the same boat really.

Mmmmmmmm...chocos.